Saturday, October 11, 2008

Kiwi and Aloe Yogurt


I've always shunned green colored foods, unless they look like they just grew out of the ground. I remember as a kid being sorely disappointed in mint-chip ice cream (I think I cried) and avoiding green KoolAid at birthday parties. Green candy and Jello were other's I've stayed away from, as I've found the "apple" and "lime" flavors to be inedible. Fortunately, artificial green foods were few and far between, so it wasn't hard to avoid them.


Well, no more. After my last post, I realized how many green snacks there are here in China. I could avoid them as I always have, there are so many others to try, but I think it is time I face my fear of "green" and review some of the several green-colored snacks I've noticed on the shelves here. So next, I've tried a green yogurt, kiwi and aloe flavored (it was even in English so no guessing this time).


Normally, aloe is associated with medicinal or cosmetic purposes, so I was wary of this one. What does aloe even smell like? It just doesn't seem like a food. I'm kind of neutral on kiwis, and combined with what seems like a non-food flavor, I really didn't expect much from this one. But, to be honest, it wasn't that bad. It had a good amount of kiwi chunks, not too big, in it, and I really couldn't detect what was supposed to taste like aloe, reinforcing my colorless and flavorless opinion of it. I probably just liked it because I love the not-too-sweet, full-fat Chinese yogurt, and pretty much any flavor I've tried so far I've liked okay. So maybe this one was too easy. We'll see about the others...


No comments: